Going to be in Quickie Mode for a little bit for the holidays. I apologize if it seems like I’m rushing a bit but I want to get Banana Fish done before Winter 2019 takes up most of my attention. Anyway…
- This episode ended up being Ash suffering for the 200th time but it does bring back some fun apartment antics between Ash and Eiji. Honestly, I wouldn’t mind if Banana Fish was just this. It’s a lot of fun seeing what an average morning looks for them when there’s no gangs trying to kill them.
- You know, in hindsight, Ash living right across from Golzine was kind of dumb. Ballsy but dumb.
- As one might expect, Blanca is tasked to kill Eiji unless Ash agrees to an ultimatum set by Golzine and Yut-Lung (starting to hate this guy).
- I’m kind of dumbstruck that Ash pulls open the window shades in the bedroom just hours after that was what allowed Blanca to shoot Eiji.
- I still don’t know how this series will end (and again: please don’t post spoilers in the comments) but I’m getting the vibe that Ash talking about how he wants to go to Japan with Eiji is one giant death flag.
- We can still question how liable Eiji is all we want but it’s hard to deny that he’s gotten a solid read on Ash’s personality. The inner monologue laid over the outspoken dialogue is a clever audio trick to inform us that Eiji knows Ash is keeping something a secret from him. That secret being Ash has to make a deal with his foes.
- This episode, more than anything, demonstrates just how far Ash will go to keep Eiji safe. Against everyone’s expectations, he genuinely was going to shoot himself in the head if it meant keeping Golzine and Yut-Lung off of Eiji.
- I took notice of Yut-Lung’s reaction which was complete shock. I think he expected him and Ash to be the same kind of person but that couldn’t be farther from the truth. One would take a bullet for his best friend, the other just started massacring his family. Definitely a huge difference there.
- Blanca is an interesting one, there’s no doubt about that. He fights Ash and encourages him to accept the path Golzine has assigned him. At the same time, however, Blanca clearly respects Ash — still imparting some advice and seems somewhat amazed that his pupil has found something worth fighting for. I doubt Blanca would join Ash’s side but he does add a very grey area to the conflict.
- I respect Max for understanding that Ash has to take his research back for Eiji’s sake…but did no one seriously not think to make copies?
Thanks for reading!
Banana Fish is officially available on Amazon.
For all of my Banana Fish Episode Reviews, check out the show’s archive page!
Consider supporting my blog via: