Summer 2017 Season Preview

I figured I’d quickly write about the upcoming Summer 2017 shows. To be honest, Summer 2017 looks a little bit weak. There are plenty of great shows continuing this season (Boku no Hero anyone?) but in terms of premieres, there isn’t a whole lot to really be excited for. Most likely, it’ll be a cross between Winter’s small handful of exceptional shows and Spring’s large line-up of potentially interesting shows.

Let’s take a look, shall we?

01Kakegurui

Premieres: July 1 at 10:00 PM JST

Studio: MAPPA

Source: Manga

Hype Level: Moderately Low

MAL Link

Preview: I’m not quite sure what this anime is about. The synopsis on MAL says it’s about a school where students are ranked by their gambling skills…but how does that even work? Frankly, this sounds really stupid but people seem to like the manga this anime is based on so this might be interesting.

02Fate/Apocryypha

Premieres: July 2 at 12:00 AM JST

Studio: A-1 Pictures

Source: Light Novel

Hype Level: Moderately Low

MAL Link

Preview: I have a very rocky relationship with the Fate franchise. I really liked Fate/zero but have come to despise every single anime version of Fate/stay night (yes, even the 2014 UBW anime). My skepticism for Apocrypha is almost entirely brand bias; I will fully admit to that. Still, I do hope this is good because the idea of two factions in the Holy Grail War and a ton of Masters and Servants sounds like it could be fun. Too bad ufotable wasn’t hired to animate this though (A-1 Pictures? Seriously?).

03Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu

Premieres: July 2 at 12:30 AM JST

Studio: ufotable

Source: Game

Hype Level: Moderate

MAL Link

Preview: Speaking of ufotable, they’re apparently animating this instead. I have heard of Touken Ranbu and I will admit that this more drama and action-oriented version looks way more appealing than the lighthearted Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru from last year. Since this is ufotable we’re talking about, this show will at least look really good.

04Keppeki Danshi! Aoyama-kun

Premieres: July 3 at 12:00 AM JST

Studio: Studio Hibari

Source: Light Novel

Hype Level: Moderately High

MAL Link

Preview: I’m always down for an anime that is so stupid that it ends up being a lot of fun. Granted, a lot of silly premises will always sound promising on paper but I really do hope Aoyama-kun is funny because that PV and synopsis had me sold. I’ll be very sad if this comedy about a germaphobic soccer player doesn’t make me laugh.

05Koi to Uso

Premieres: July 4 at 12:00 AM JST

Studio: LIDEN FILMS

Source: Manga

Hype Level: Moderate

MAL Link

Preview: This anime is about forbidden love….literally. In Koi to Uso, love is actually illegal and marriage is decided by the government. Naturally this premise is ripe for drama since the main protagonist is caught in a love triangle with two girls. This could get very melodramatic or maybe too mean-spirited like Kuzu no Honkai. I’m hopeful however since this is directed by Seiki Takuno who directed the fantastic Udon no Kuni Kirino Kemari.

06Isekai Shokudou

Premieres: July 4 at 1:35 AM JST

Studio: Silver Link

Source: Light Novel

Hype Level: High

MAL Link

Preview: This is based on a very well-liked light novel about a restaurant attended by otherwordly beings.  Even though I am a little tired of isekai shows, I think Shokudou will be a very refreshing change of pace since it looks more slice-of-life oriented (it is about cooking after all) and, for once, it doesn’t involve a teenage boy dying and ending up in a fantasy land.

07Made in Abyss

Premieres: July 7 at 9:30 PM JST

Studio: Kinema Citrus

Source: Manga

Hype Level: High

MAL Link

Preview: One of biggest problems I have with fantasy anime is that rarely does the setting every really look as interesting as the characters themselves. Made in Abyss might avoid this pitfall because it’s centered on a cave system called the Abyss that many people explore through. It looks cutesy but it also looks gorgeous and adventurous so I’m hoping this will be worthwhile.

08Vatican Kiseki Chousakan

Premieres: July 7 at 10:30 PM JST

Studio: J.C. Staff

Source: Manga

Hype Level: Moderate

MAL Link

Preview: Any anime about the Western hemisphere (in this case, the Vatican) is worth keeping an eye on. Since this premise is about two men investigating the validity of miracles, I’m hoping this is structured in the same vein as Mushishi.

09Ballroom e Youkoso

Premieres: July 9 at 2:08 AM JST

Studio: Production I.G.

Source: Manga

Hype Level: High

MAL Link

Preview: Probably the most exciting premiere of the season, Ballroom is about an introverted middle school student who decides to become a ballroom dancer. While there seems to be a lot of fresh talent in the staff and cast, I’d be shocked if someone actually screws this up because the manga is extremely well-liked. It sounds like it’s formatted like a sports manga/anime which I think could work really well with the subject of ballroom dance.

10Centaur no Nayami

Premieres: July 9 at 10:00 PM JST

Studio: Haoliners Animation

Source: Manga

Hype Level: Moderately High

MAL Link

Preview: After watching Demi-chan wa Kataritai and Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon, I’m itching to see more slice-of-life, monster girl shows. I am mildly skeptical of Haoliners being the studio of choice but then again, I am too used to them animating a lot of crappy Chinese co-production anime. I’ll try not go in with too much bias.

11Princess Principal

Premieres: July 9 at 11:00 PM JST

Studio: 3Hz x Actas

Source: Original

Hype Level: Moderately High

MAL Link

Preview: What are the two most common things you think of when cute girl anime comes into mind? Modern-day Japanese high schools and slice of life hijinks. Princess Principal already looks interesting simply because it’s set in 19th century Europe and is about girls working undercover. Also, Yuki Kajiura is composing the show’s soundtrack. Yeah, I really hope this show will be good.

12Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni.

Premieres: July 11 at 8:30 PM JST

Studio: Production Reed

Source: Light Novel

Hype Level: Low

MAL Link

Preview: Of course, an isekai anime would be one of the more anticipated anime of the season. I’ll admit that I’m amused that the joke is that the protagonist is reborn into a fantasy world with his smartphone but there’s a good chance that the joke begins and ends there.

16New Game!!

Premieres: July 11 at 9:30 PM JST

Studio: Doga Kobo

Source: Manga

Hype Level: Moderately High

MAL Link

Preview: No joke, this is the safest bet on the list. I enjoyed the first season of New Game! It’s not amazing by any means but it’s a nice, feel-good show with some very appealing characters and fun hijinks. There wasn’t any loose ends from Season 1 and I’m assuming the characters are just working on a new game this season. Still, I’m happy if I get to see more of Aoba and the silly hijinks she and her friends gets into.

13Hajimete no Gal

Premieres: July 12 at 11:00 PM JST

Studio: NAZ

Source: Manga

Hype Level: Moderately Low

MAL Link

Preview: Hajimete no Gal is about a guy who is pressured into asking a hot girl out and hijinks ensue. To be honest, I’m not terribly interested in this show but the manga is apparently well-liked so I’ll probably reserve time for this.

14Gamers!

Premieres: July 13 at 9:00 PM JST

Studio: Pine Jam

Source: Light Novel

Hype Level: Moderately Low

MAL Link

Preview: “Gamers!” might be the most blunt title ever. It really does explain what the show is about in just one word. I don’t really know what to expect with this but based on the member count on MAL, this is apparently one of the more anticipated anime this season. I’ll probably reserve time for this since I myself am a gamer and I wouldn’t mind seeing more anime about gaming.

15The Reflection

Premieres: July 22 at 11:00 PM JST

Studio: Studio Deen

Source: Original

Hype Level: Moderate

MAL Link

Preview: A phenomenon where people discovered they have superpowers and choose to become either heroes or villains? Wow! That sounds an awful lot like Boku no Hero Academia! In all seriousness, The Reflection is probably one of the bigger wild cards this season. Yes, the plot does sound similar to a very well-known manga/anime but there is some big names working on The Reflection. You have both Mushishi director Hiroshi Nahama and comic book legend Stan Lee collaborating on this show. That alone has my attention.

Advertisements