Another quickie on Darling in the FranXX.
- For all I know, Darling is making some sort of a statement about gender. The most telling sign is the fact that it’s the female pilot powering the robot while the male pilot quite literally rides her. That Hiro can handle Zero Two’s seemingly overwhelming, man-killing power does have me curious. In a way, Zero Two enacts a sort of power play; she’ll lend control but her co-pilot better be able to handle her…and I just realize how naughty this all sounds.
- Another interesting thing is that it seems like a lot of these pairings are arranged by the higher-ups in terms of compatibility. Even though it’s confirmed Hiro and Zero Two are compatible with each other, I think it’s noteworthy that it was entirely their choice to team up.
- I’m starting to really enjoy Hiro and Zero Two’s relationship. Just Hiro admitting he’s fascinated with Zero Two and accepts her while the latter relishes in the compliments is just precious.
- I just wish Darling knew what subtlety is. Nothing comes across a subtext to me; it’s all just text here.
- Favorite shameless line of dialogue: when Hiro says “I feel myself going deeper inside you” to Zero Two. These writers know exactly what they’re doing.
- I don’t get why Hiro got so flustered when Zero Two catches him naked in the bathtub. These two already get raunchy in the cockpit, nudity ought to be whatever to them.
- For all the talk that this cast of heroes are promising cadets, they sure suck at fighting monsters. Seriously, they just keep getting their asses kicked until Strelizia arrives.
- This cast has gotten a bit more interesting…though they do feel like ciphers who serve to push Hiro and Zero Two’s arc further. Other than Ichigo, everyone just comes and goes in terms of relevance.
- I’m still unimpressed with the FranXX designs though I kind of like how they vaguely look like the girls who power them. That their facial expressions sync with their female pilots is a neat visual detail as well (love that smirk Strelizia gives to Delphinium).
- Good Lord, these adults are stupid. Just let Hiro pilot the damn robot.
- Why did Hiro get amnesia when he first piloted Strelizia? Did that weird kiss from Episode 1 have anything to do with it? I guess the mystery hasn’t been completely solved.
Surprisingly, I am starting to enjoy Darling in the FranXX so I still don’t have a big reason to drop it for now. I’ll admit that talking about it has been fun too and judging from the my site’s statistics, this anime is becoming one of the most discussed shows of the season. I wouldn’t say I’ve committed to this show, both in terms of watching and blogging but I also haven’t dropped it so consider that an optimistic sign.
Thanks for reading!
For more Darling in the FranXX posts, check out the show’s archive page!