Spring 2018 Season Preview

Update (3/18/2018): Added the premiere date for Steins;Gate 0.

Another season of anime is arriving real soon…and I absolutely do not feel prepared for it. April’s simply going to be the toughest month for my practicum so I’ll likely be very busy and very exhausted. I’ll try my best but don’t be surprised if my Loose Ends Lightning Round for the season is comprised of like 20 shows.

I’m also going into this season a bit blindly. I like doing some extra research by taking a gander at the source materials of some of the upcoming anime but I didn’t have time for that stuff this time around. Admittedly, this will make the influx of premieres a potentially surprising experience but I frankly just prefer going in with more informed predictions. On the bright side, Spring 2018 looks like it has variety going for it. It doesn’t look homogeneously cutesy like Winter 2018 wound up being.

Let’s take a look, shall we?

Lost Song

Lost SongPremieres: March 31 (April 7 for TV Broadcasts)

Studio: Dwango, LIDENFILMS

Source: Original

Hype Level: 50-50

Links: MyAnimeList | PV

I haven’t had the time to check out Netflix’s recent anime acquisitions (other than Violet Evergarden) though I hope I’ll be able to check out Lost Song. I don’t know much about this show though I like the character designs and the fantasy aesthetic so I’ll give it a shot. I highly doubt this’ll get a U.S. simulcast though since this is Netflix we’re talking about (Edit: Netflix confirms Lost Song will release outside of Japan later in the year).

Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai

Tada-kun wa Koi wa Shinai

Premieres: April 5 at 21:00 JST

Studio: Dogo Kobo

Source: Original

Hype Level: Somewhat High

Links: MyAnimeList | PV

When it comes to original properties, any optimism is going to sound speculative at best. Still, I’m very hopeful for Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai since it has Mitsu Yamazaki and Yoshiko Nakamura as director and writer. Both of them were in the same jobs for Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun respectively which I freaking adore (one of my favorite anime of 2014). And while I wish for a second season of that show, I’m curious to see what the same crew is currently working on. I also think a romance anime involving an international transfer student sounds neat and the PVs do look very nice.

Comic Girls

Comic Girls

Premieres: April 5 at 23:30 JST

Studio: Nexus

Source: 4-koma

Hype Level: Low

Links: MyAnimelist | PV

After stuff like Princess PrincipalShoujo Shuumatsu Ruokou, and Yorimoi, the CGDCT genre bar has been very high now. I’m sure Comic Girls will make for some lightweight entertainment but I admit that it’s hard to muster enthusiasm for a show simply about four mangakas living together. Still, I continue to watch at least one CGDCT anime every season so why stop now?

Hinamatsuri

Hinamatsuri

Premieres: April 6 at 21:00 JST

Studio: feel.

Source: Manga

Hype Level: Somewhat High

Links: MyAnimeList |PV

This looks quirky enough. A Yakuza member stumbles upon a strange little girl with psychic powers and hijinks naturally ensue. From what I can tell, the manga’s really well received and the PV showed the kind of dry humor I tend to like. I’d say there’s potential for a noteworthy entry in this season’s lineup.

Boku no Hero Academia (Season 3)

Boku no Hero Academia S3

Premieres: April 7 at 17:30 JST

Studio: Bones

Source: Manga

Hype Level: High – Most Anticipated

Links: MyAnimeList | PV

I suppose this is a very safe bet to make but it’s true: I’m super excited for another season of Boku no Hero Academia. Season 1 was solid and Season 2 was even better, pushing the narrative and setting in a more complex and thrilling direction. Things are progressing so nicely that I’d have to be a massive skeptic to think this show will jump the shark on me. I’ve also heard that this season will be two cours so here’s hoping for a fun and eventful Spring and Summer.

Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online

SAO AlternativePremieres: April 8 at 0:00 JST

Studio: 3Hz

Source: Light Novel

Hype Level: Somewhat Low

Links: MyAnimeList

After Princess Principal, I’ll try any new show 3Hz will throw at me though I do wish that it wasn’t a Sword Art Online anime that they’re working on next. I admit it: I don’t really like this franchise. I thought Season 1 showed promise and then squandered it completely with it a godawful ending to its first arc and completely garbage second half. Still, maybe having a few different creative minds will make Alternative something I’ll enjoy.

Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File

Layton Mystery TanteishaPremieres: April 8 at 8:30 JST

Studio: LIDEN FILMS

Source: Game

Hype Level: 50-50

Links: MyAnimeList | PV

I really wish I had the time to play the Layton games but hopefully, this anime adaptation will suffice for the time being. I honestly can’t believe it’s taken this long for a Layton anime and even then, it’s about Layton’s daughter Katrielle and not the gentleman himself. A odd choice (especially because I still can’t believe Layton has a daughter) but I think this could still be fun. Kana Hanazawa as Katrielle is a nice bonus.

Piano no Mori

Piano no MoriPremieres: April 9 at 0:10 JST

Studio: Fukishima Gainax

Source: Manga

Hype Level: Somewhat High

Links: MyAnimeList | PV

I’ve heard very good things about the Piano no Mori manga and there’s something whimsical about two boys stumbling upon a piano in a forest. The only thing that I’m wary of is perhaps the choice of studio. Fukushima Gainax is a pretty new studio or studio branch from my understanding. And while the manga might be strong enough to work as an anime in general, I fear that there are some untested waters here.

Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara – Toutsuki Ressha-hen

Shokugeki no Souma S3-2Premieres: April 9 as 0:30 JST

Studio: J.C. Staff

Source: Manga

Hype Level: Somewhat High

Links: MyAnimeList | PV

I’m not as thrilled about more Shokugeki no Souma like I was back in the Fall. Frankly, I feel like this anime took a step backwards in introducing a very cartoony antagonist and as a result, made the central conflict a lot dumber. The cast remains as endearing as ever, however, and I will admit that there was some solid character development in the first cour of San no Sara. I really want to know how these characters will grow later arcs and for what’s it worth, I’m still committed to seeing how this story ends.

Golden Kamuy

Golden KamuyPremieres: April 9 at 23:00 JST

Studio: Geno Studio

Source: Manga

Hype Level: Somewhat High

Links: MyAnimeList | PV

Kind of on the same boat as Piano no Mori, I’ve heard great things about the Golden Kamuy manga but I didn’t have time to read a little bit of it. It’s rare to see a historical action-adventure anime though so this show does have the atypical appeal going for it. I think the staff especially makes this show look promising; particularly series composer Noboru Takagi of Baccano! fame.

Steins;Gate 0

Steins;Gate 0Premieres: April 12 at 1:00 JST

Studio: White Fox

Source: Visual Novel

Hype Level: 50-50

Links: MyAnimeList | PV

I’m not really sure how I feel about a sequel to Steins;Gate. The original show is one of my favorite anime of the early 2010s but the thing is that it ended perfectly. The finale was conclusive and satisfying and I felt so content with it that I don’t need to see more. And yes, I am aware that Steins;Gate 0 follows one of the bad endings of the visual novel but that detail alone really shows what kind of liberties needs to be taken to justify a sequel to this story. Regardless, out of sheer affinity towards the original show, I’ll give this one a fair trial.

Hisone to Maso-tan

Hisone to MasotanPremieres: April 13 at 0:00 JST

Studio: Bones

Source: Original

Hype Level: 50-50

Links: MyAnimeList | PV

This screams to me as a CGDCT anime version of How to Train your Dragon…and that actually sounds a lot of fun now that I write it down. Also going for Hisone to Maso-tan is studio Bones’ involvement. Bones is one of the best studios out there so it’s nice to see them attached to an original property for once. Boku no Hero Academia Season 3 is probably all I need from this studio in Spring but I’d be down for two solid shows from them.

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii

Wotaku ni Koi wa MuzukashiiPremieres: April 13 at 0:55 JST

Studio: A-1 Pictures

Source: Manga

Hype Level: 50-50

Links: MyAnimeList | PV

Well, it isn’t the first time Noitamina aired a show about otakus and it probably won’t be the last. I’m not expecting another Saekano out of this (you can’t top Megumi Katou, damn it) but I think it’s neat to see an anime focus on adult otakus for once (and in a workplace no less). Provided that it’s respectful of the hobbies it depicts and it’s genuinely funny, I think we’re in for a treat.

Prospects

• Proposed Blog Series:
    • Boku no Hero Academia
    • Shokugeki no Souma
    • Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai
  • Biggest Wild Cards:
    • Hisotane to Maso-tan
    • Steins;Gate 0
    • Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii
  • Obligatory CGDCT Show:
    • Comic Girls

Okay enough prospects. Again, busywork for my practicum might force me to cut back on blogging though I hope it won’t get to that point.

Advertisements