A quickie on Darling in the FranXX. This is about sex, isn’t it?
- So you have the female pilot bend down on all fours while the male pilot grab onto the handles attached to her thighs so it looks like they’re having intercourse…..but why though? This seems too on the nose to be symbolic.
- It also doesn’t help that there’s a lot of innuendos. These kids need to stop talk about “connecting” and “making sounds” with each other. And use protection for goodness’s sake!
- I’m not really liking the Franxx designs. I don’t know, they look too “human” to me with the weird metallic hair, eyes, hats…and breasts (still don’t get that).
- So going doggy style in your robot is normal but kissing to power up is odd and embarrassing? What happens when these kids hold hands? Their robot explodes
- Going to be honest, I think a lot of Hiro’s classmates are pretty forgettable. Seriously, who are any of these people?
- Zorome is especially annoying. This guy really needs to shut up. And someone tell him that “finishing first” isn’t actually something a guy would brag about.
- Ichigo was a little interesting actually. She seems to have a history with Hiro and she shares the latter’s frustration about his inability to sync. I can definitely see a rivalry between her and Zero Two.
- I’m not surprised that Hiro failed the sync test but I think his shortcoming actually suggests why he and Zero Two can work as a pair. If Zero Two’s abilities are too overwhelming, perhaps Hiro’s lack of power makes him able to handle the former…and I don’t mean it like that.
- The tone continues to mystify me. You have all these innuendos and yet this story is taken so seriously. It’s hard to really see a story like this as sophisticated when it’s being so gratuitous.
Darling in the FranXX is certainly an oddity. I’ll watch a little bit more but its brand of weird isn’t really working out for me right now. Maybe there’s something symbolic about the whole mecha sex thing but it feels more gratuitous and dumb to me right now. I won’t be surprised if I end up dropping this.
OP 1: “KISS OF DEATH” by Mika Nakashima x Hyde
ED 1: “Torikago” by XX:me
Thanks for reading!
For more Darling in the FranXX posts, check out the show’s archive page!